- L’Ecole No. 41 announces management change
- Team Quady sweeps superlatives at Oregon Wine Competition
- Fries family sells Duck Pond Cellars to Great Oregon Wine Co.
- USA Today readers vote Stoller Family Estate tasting room No. 1 in nation
- Auction of Washington Wines tops $4 million again
- Ste. Michelle CEO Baseler retires after 17 years at the helm
- Fujishin, Lost West Winery use Riesling to top 2018 Idaho Wine Competition
- Private Barrel Auction raises $251,500 for Washington State University wine program
- Treveri Cellars kicks off harvest of 2018 vintage on Aug. 17
- McMinnville Wine and Food Classic announces 2019 judging panel
Purple Star Wines 2009 Syrah, Columbia Valley, $17
Kyle Johnson, who made some great, great wines at now-defunct Olsen Estates in Prosser, is back with his Purple Star label. This wine uses 95% Olsen grapes from the Yakima Valley along with a touch of Red Mountain fruit, and it is superb. It opens with aromas of gooey brownies, dark fruit, sizzling bacon and moist earth. On the palate, it reveals hedonistic flavors of plum, blueberry, blackberry jam and roasted meat. It’s a big, dark, brooding wine with a great finish. Alas, it is sold out, but a new vintage is now for sale.