- L’Ecole No. 41 announces management change
- Team Quady sweeps superlatives at Oregon Wine Competition
- Fries family sells Duck Pond Cellars to Great Oregon Wine Co.
- USA Today readers vote Stoller Family Estate tasting room No. 1 in nation
- Auction of Washington Wines tops $4 million again
- Ste. Michelle CEO Baseler retires after 17 years at the helm
- Fujishin, Lost West Winery use Riesling to top 2018 Idaho Wine Competition
- Private Barrel Auction raises $251,500 for Washington State University wine program
- Treveri Cellars kicks off harvest of 2018 vintage on Aug. 17
- McMinnville Wine and Food Classic announces 2019 judging panel
Rulo Winery 2009 Cabernet Sauvignon, Columbia Valley, $35
Juice from two of Washington state’s top vineyards — Kiona (55%) on Red Mountain and The Benches in the Horse Heaven Hills — spent 22 months new Taransaud French oak barrels. That accounts for the aromas of smoky black cherry and blackberry with black pepper, green peppercorns and cedar. There’s more blackberry and cherry on the entry, followed by assertive bittersweet chocolate tannins backed by blueberry and red currant acidity. While there’s plenty of satisfaction now, those tannins should resolve into something really special. The Schlickers’ wines are primarily available from the winery, but the list of retailers for Rulo is available at the winery site.
Production: 204 cases