- L’Ecole No. 41 announces management change
- Team Quady sweeps superlatives at Oregon Wine Competition
- Fries family sells Duck Pond Cellars to Great Oregon Wine Co.
- USA Today readers vote Stoller Family Estate tasting room No. 1 in nation
- Auction of Washington Wines tops $4 million again
- Ste. Michelle CEO Baseler retires after 17 years at the helm
- Fujishin, Lost West Winery use Riesling to top 2018 Idaho Wine Competition
- Private Barrel Auction raises $251,500 for Washington State University wine program
- Treveri Cellars kicks off harvest of 2018 vintage on Aug. 17
- McMinnville Wine and Food Classic announces 2019 judging panel
Auclair Winery 2012 Artz Vineyard Left Blend, Red Mountain, $25
This reference to the tradition of Bordeaux producers along the Left Bank leading their red blends with Cabernet Sauvignon, Woodinville vintner Charlie Auclair follows that practice with his bottling of Cabernet Sauvignon (60%), Merlot (26%), Cabernet Franc (11%) and Petit Verdot from historic Artz Vineyard. The barrel program is focused on French oak and dominated by new wood, which accounts for notes of dark toast, Montmorency cherry and fresh-cut cedar. On the palate, it’s fruit-driven with blackberry jam on toast, black currant and President plum. Ageworthy tannins come across as Bing cherry skins, yet there’s plenty of fruit to support that structure. This is one of the more affordable big reds you’ll find from Red Mountain.
Production: 150 cases