- L’Ecole No. 41 announces management change
- Team Quady sweeps superlatives at Oregon Wine Competition
- Fries family sells Duck Pond Cellars to Great Oregon Wine Co.
- USA Today readers vote Stoller Family Estate tasting room No. 1 in nation
- Auction of Washington Wines tops $4 million again
- Ste. Michelle CEO Baseler retires after 17 years at the helm
- Fujishin, Lost West Winery use Riesling to top 2018 Idaho Wine Competition
- Private Barrel Auction raises $251,500 for Washington State University wine program
- Treveri Cellars kicks off harvest of 2018 vintage on Aug. 17
- McMinnville Wine and Food Classic announces 2019 judging panel
Milbrandt Vineyards 2012 Traditions Merlot, Columbia Valley, $17
The Milbrandts and winemaker Joshua Maloney continue to offer a wide range of quality wines at affordable prices, and that includes this deliciously round and juicy Merlot. They build this using fruit primarily from estate sites on the Wahluke Slope – Clifton Bluff, Wahluke Slope, Purple Sage, Sundance and Clifton – using some Malbec and Petit Verdot along the way. Aromas of black currant jam and black cherry are matched on the palate. There’s a bit of hedonism that comes with the fat midpalate, yet a burst of cherry skin and flesh provides balance. Butch Milbrandt enjoys preparing his Bacon-Wrapped Dates with Wine-infused Berry Compote as an accompaniment to his pleasing Merlot.
Production: 6,000 cases