- L’Ecole No. 41 announces management change
- Team Quady sweeps superlatives at Oregon Wine Competition
- Fries family sells Duck Pond Cellars to Great Oregon Wine Co.
- USA Today readers vote Stoller Family Estate tasting room No. 1 in nation
- Auction of Washington Wines tops $4 million again
- Ste. Michelle CEO Baseler retires after 17 years at the helm
- Fujishin, Lost West Winery use Riesling to top 2018 Idaho Wine Competition
- Private Barrel Auction raises $251,500 for Washington State University wine program
- Treveri Cellars kicks off harvest of 2018 vintage on Aug. 17
- McMinnville Wine and Food Classic announces 2019 judging panel
Hat Ranch Winery 2014 Tempranillo, Snake River Valley, $29
Young wineries and vineyards throughout the Snake River Valley, which includes both Idaho and Oregon, continue to explore Tempranillo. Sawtooth Vineyard, established by in the 1980s, introduced the Spanish grape to Idaho and it has found a home in Tim Harless’s program at Hat Ranch Winery. The 20 months in barrel develops notes of mocha, coconut and toffee to join the red currant, raspberry and Montmorency cherry. A touch of Petit Verdot (6%) adds to the tannin structure of bittersweet chocolate, and the low profile of alcohol allows that red fruit to shine. Suggested pairings from their Sunnyslope Wine District tasting room include bold meat dishes and aged Spanish cheeses.
Production: 106 cases