- L’Ecole No. 41 announces management change
- Team Quady sweeps superlatives at Oregon Wine Competition
- Fries family sells Duck Pond Cellars to Great Oregon Wine Co.
- USA Today readers vote Stoller Family Estate tasting room No. 1 in nation
- Auction of Washington Wines tops $4 million again
- Ste. Michelle CEO Baseler retires after 17 years at the helm
- Fujishin, Lost West Winery use Riesling to top 2018 Idaho Wine Competition
- Private Barrel Auction raises $251,500 for Washington State University wine program
- Treveri Cellars kicks off harvest of 2018 vintage on Aug. 17
- McMinnville Wine and Food Classic announces 2019 judging panel
Airfield Estates 2014 Merlot, Yakima Valley, $18
The Miller family quietly continues to rank among the leaders in Washington’s wine industry, and this year it celebrates the 50th anniversary of grandfather Don Miller planting a commercial vineyard on the family’s Airport Ranch near Prosser. It’s now spans nearly 900 acres, supplying many winemakers throughout the Northwest with quality fruit. Marcus Miller turns this lot into a rush of dark red fruit as strawberry, cherry and red plum notes lead to a Merlot of impressive depth that’s smooth, bright and balanced with notes of anise and minerality. Suggested pairings include Braised Beef Ragu with Pappardelle Pasta, Pan-Seared Duck Breast with Blueberry Sauce, Grilled Flat Iron Steak with Blue Cheese Butter or cheeses such as Gouda or Gorgonzola.
Production: 2,272 cases