- L’Ecole No. 41 announces management change
- Team Quady sweeps superlatives at Oregon Wine Competition
- Fries family sells Duck Pond Cellars to Great Oregon Wine Co.
- USA Today readers vote Stoller Family Estate tasting room No. 1 in nation
- Auction of Washington Wines tops $4 million again
- Ste. Michelle CEO Baseler retires after 17 years at the helm
- Fujishin, Lost West Winery use Riesling to top 2018 Idaho Wine Competition
- Private Barrel Auction raises $251,500 for Washington State University wine program
- Treveri Cellars kicks off harvest of 2018 vintage on Aug. 17
- McMinnville Wine and Food Classic announces 2019 judging panel
Boomtown by Dusted Valley 2015 Merlot, Washington, $19
Merlot tends to make for a rather strapping red wine in Washington state, but each vintage the boys at Dusted Valley Vintners in Walla Walla work with the Wahluke Wine Co., in Mattawa to produce an approachable wine for this their entry-level Boomtown brand. They use small additions of Cabernet Sauvignon (6%) and Petit Verdot (3%) to create a long, juicy and somewhat silky Merlot. Sweet blue fruit aromas of blackcurrant and plum include dried cherry and caramel. Inside, there’s Bing cherry, more plum and ripe blueberry flavors, backed by black tea, clove and milk chocolate from the 20% new French oak.
Production: 2,750 cases