- L’Ecole No. 41 announces management change
- Team Quady sweeps superlatives at Oregon Wine Competition
- Fries family sells Duck Pond Cellars to Great Oregon Wine Co.
- USA Today readers vote Stoller Family Estate tasting room No. 1 in nation
- Auction of Washington Wines tops $4 million again
- Ste. Michelle CEO Baseler retires after 17 years at the helm
- Fujishin, Lost West Winery use Riesling to top 2018 Idaho Wine Competition
- Private Barrel Auction raises $251,500 for Washington State University wine program
- Treveri Cellars kicks off harvest of 2018 vintage on Aug. 17
- McMinnville Wine and Food Classic announces 2019 judging panel
GSM among Washington’s most delicious blends
Seven of Hearts 2013 GSM Plus C, Columbia Valley, $25
One of the Pacific Northwest’s most adventuresome and skilled winemakers, Byron Dooley in Carlton, Ore., reached into two vineyards on the Washington side of the Columbia River across from Oregon — Avery and Hellsgate – for this GSM-style blend. It leads with Grenache (38%) and gets contributions from Syrah (36%) and Mourvèdre (14%), plus Cinsault (12%). The barrel program he used is focused on French oak, but just 10% new wood. Beautiful aromas of boysenberry, blueberry and California red peppercorns lead to a tasty drink that’s a bit darker with a profile of blackberry, pomegranate and baking spice. Pleasing tannins and juicy acidity are nicely integrated, leading for a long and soft finish of blueberry jam.
Production: 347 cases