- L’Ecole No. 41 announces management change
- Team Quady sweeps superlatives at Oregon Wine Competition
- Fries family sells Duck Pond Cellars to Great Oregon Wine Co.
- USA Today readers vote Stoller Family Estate tasting room No. 1 in nation
- Auction of Washington Wines tops $4 million again
- Ste. Michelle CEO Baseler retires after 17 years at the helm
- Fujishin, Lost West Winery use Riesling to top 2018 Idaho Wine Competition
- Private Barrel Auction raises $251,500 for Washington State University wine program
- Treveri Cellars kicks off harvest of 2018 vintage on Aug. 17
- McMinnville Wine and Food Classic announces 2019 judging panel
Cinder Wines 2016 Dried on the Vine Viognier, Snake River Valley, $25
Cinder winemaker Melanie Krause selected a block of Viognier at Sawtooth Vineyard for her dessert wine project and stripped the leaves from the vines in September. That allowed the grapes to dry on the vine, and by Nov. 8 they had reached 32 Brix. Krause then turned those berries into this elegant nectar with 12% residual sugar. The resulting “straw wine” is rich aromas and flavors of honey, sugared lime and orange with a finish that retains surprising acidity after such long hang time. This earned dual crowns of best dessert wine and best Idaho wine at the sixth annual Cascadia International Wine Competition. Suggested pairings include cheeses such as Gouda and Parmigiano-Reggiano, dried fruits and prosciutto, peach or pear tarts, créme brûlée or almond-influenced desserts.
Production: 266 cases