- L’Ecole No. 41 announces management change
- Team Quady sweeps superlatives at Oregon Wine Competition
- Fries family sells Duck Pond Cellars to Great Oregon Wine Co.
- USA Today readers vote Stoller Family Estate tasting room No. 1 in nation
- Auction of Washington Wines tops $4 million again
- Ste. Michelle CEO Baseler retires after 17 years at the helm
- Fujishin, Lost West Winery use Riesling to top 2018 Idaho Wine Competition
- Private Barrel Auction raises $251,500 for Washington State University wine program
- Treveri Cellars kicks off harvest of 2018 vintage on Aug. 17
- McMinnville Wine and Food Classic announces 2019 judging panel
Airfield Estates Winery 2017 Sauvignon Blanc, Yakima Valley, $15
Best Buy! Marcus Miller instructs the crew at this fourth-generation farm near Prosser, Wash., to harvest his Sauvignon Blanc in the early morning hours in order to preserve the natural acidity. Last year, that happened on Sept. 7, which is closer to the historical norm than previous hot vintages. As a result, there’s a bone-dry presentation of subtle notes of lemon, grapefruit and gooseberry, with a hint of a spicy kick of white pepper on the finish. Suggested pairings include Calamari with Garlic and Peas, gazpacho, Grilled Vegetable Pasta with Cumin or a cheese plate featuring bücheron and sharp cheddar. This won a double gold medal at the sixth annual Cascadia International Wine Competition, and it’s available at the family’s tasting rooms in Woodinville and on Merlot Drive in Prosser’s Vintner’s Village.
Production: 2,433 cases