- L’Ecole No. 41 announces management change
- Team Quady sweeps superlatives at Oregon Wine Competition
- Fries family sells Duck Pond Cellars to Great Oregon Wine Co.
- USA Today readers vote Stoller Family Estate tasting room No. 1 in nation
- Auction of Washington Wines tops $4 million again
- Ste. Michelle CEO Baseler retires after 17 years at the helm
- Fujishin, Lost West Winery use Riesling to top 2018 Idaho Wine Competition
- Private Barrel Auction raises $251,500 for Washington State University wine program
- Treveri Cellars kicks off harvest of 2018 vintage on Aug. 17
- McMinnville Wine and Food Classic announces 2019 judging panel
Mercer Estates 2017 Culloden Vineyard Viognier, Horse Heaven Hills, $13
Best Buy! Jeremy Santo furthers the Viognier program for the Mercers, who continue to use Italian clay amphorae to add complexity and mouth feel to 30% of the berries from their 4-acre block at Culloden Vineyard, a 70-acre site in the Horse Heaven Hills near Alderdale, Wash. There’s no oak involved, and the aromatics are quite alluring with hints of orange Creamsicle, lychee, rosewater and a fruit salad. It’s bright, juicy and refreshing as layers of clementine and tangerine make for a terrifically complex mouthfeel. It’s one of the most delicious examples of Viognier our panels have tasted in 2018. Fortunately, they doubled production from the 2016 vintage.
Production: 237 cases