- L’Ecole No. 41 announces management change
- Team Quady sweeps superlatives at Oregon Wine Competition
- Fries family sells Duck Pond Cellars to Great Oregon Wine Co.
- USA Today readers vote Stoller Family Estate tasting room No. 1 in nation
- Auction of Washington Wines tops $4 million again
- Ste. Michelle CEO Baseler retires after 17 years at the helm
- Fujishin, Lost West Winery use Riesling to top 2018 Idaho Wine Competition
- Private Barrel Auction raises $251,500 for Washington State University wine program
- Treveri Cellars kicks off harvest of 2018 vintage on Aug. 17
- McMinnville Wine and Food Classic announces 2019 judging panel
2Hawk Vineyard and Winery NV v.3 Red-Tail Red, Rogue Valley, $22
Recent releases from this Medford, Ore., winery and winemaker Kiley Evans continue to impress, and Ross and Jennifer Allen’s entry-level red is easy to enjoy. The blend of Cabernet Sauvignon (50%), Merlot (25%) and Cabernet Franc (15%) sourced from the Gold Hill region of Southern Oregon gets a worthy boost from Syrah (10%). Its toasty profile from 30% new French oak barrels quickly yields to aromas and flavors of cherry and blackberry. The tannin management presents this in a lighter style as plum juice acidity finishes with sweet herbs and dark chocolate. Suggested pairings include dry-rubbed tri-tip on the smoker, grilled fennel and roasted garlic potato mash.
Production: 390 cases