- Amelia Wynn 2016 Grenache wins Washington State Wine Competition
- Zerba Cellars 2016 Wild Z wins Walla Walla wine competition
- Apples to grapes: The path to the Lake Chelan AVA
- Maryhill, Gehringer Bros. stand tall at INDY International judging
- Alloro Vineyard weaves New World with Old in Chehalem Mountains
- Koenig Vineyards in Idaho stays local with sale to Nederends
- VineLines Dispatch: Tasting rooms spring up across Washington, Oregon
- 2019 vintage off to warm start in Northwest vineyards
- From apples to grapes: Lake Chelan AVA turns 10
- I Love Gamay festival helps kick off Oregon Wine Month
Idaho winery buys historic Sandpoint building
SANDPOINT, Idaho — Stephen and Julie Meyer, owners of Pend d’Oreille Winery, announced they have purchased the historic Belwood Building in downtown Sandpoint and will use it for their tasting room and restaurant operations starting Sept. 13.
The Belwood Building, at 301 Cedar St., is across the street from the winery, Bistro Rouge Café and tasting room on the corner of Third and Cedar, which has served as the winery’s headquarters for 11 years.
Pend d’Oreille’s award-winning winemaking will return to its warehouse on Boyer near the Sandpoint airport.
“Yet now we have the opportunity to take stride into our next growth stage as a business and embrace a fantastic new accommodation — the historic Belwood Building,” the Meyers said in a news release. “Funny enough, the Belwood building is diagonally across the street from the current winery so we will still be on the corner of 3rd and Cedar.”
The move of the tasting room and restaurant will begin after Sept. 8, which marks the end of Pend d’Oreille Winery’s annual Harvest Party and grape stomp.
Belwood Building in Idaho Panhandle dates to 1909
The Belwood was built in 1909 and served as the home for Williams Mercantile and the Saint James Hotel and Cafe before conversion to a furniture store in 1916. Ernie Belwood purchased The Furniture Exchange and the Belwood from his employers, the Jeffries family.
The building had been vacant until the Meyers began renovations, which have included removing exterior paint and restoring the brick.