- Auction of Washington Wines names Jamie Peha as executive director
- Auction of Washington Wines selects 2019 honorary grower, vintner
- Cabernet Sauvignon production grows by 29 percent in Washington wine industry
- Purity, sophistication at play on Youngberg Hill in McMinnville
- March enters as lion for Columbia Valley vineyards
- Ste. Michelle books 27 shows for Summer Concert Series
- Vancouver USA wineries set table for Savor SW WA Wine
- Young AVA launches Lewis-Clark Valley Wine Festival
- Wine Marketing Roundtable set for April 8 in Walla Walla
- Woodinville photojournalist debuts VineLines Dispatch
British Columbia wine wins Northwest Wine Summit
HOOD RIVER, Ore. – A British Columbia icewine won top honors last week at the 18th annual Northwest Wine Summit.
Lang Vineyards‘ 2011 Riesling Icewine from British Columbia’s Okanagan Valley was deemed the top wine out of nearly 800 entries.
Lang, which touts itself as the province’s first farmgate winery, was opened in 1990 by Guenther Lang. He and his wife, Kristina, purchased the vineyard property in 1980 on the Naramata Bench. He sold the winery in 2005, and it was sold again in 2010.
The Northwest Wine Summit was conducted at the historic Columbia Gorge Hotel in Hood River and is owned and operated by Parks Redwine, a wine importer and longtime Northwest wine enthusiast who lives in Atlanta.
Other wines winning top awards include:
- Best red wine: Kennedy Shah 2008 Reserve Syrah, Rattlesnake Hills
- Best white wine: Lake Breeze Vineyards 2012 Pinot Blanc, Okanagan Valley
- Best sparkling wine: Treveri Cellars NV Gewurztraminer Demi-Sec, Columbia Valley
- Best rosé: Tightrope 2012 Rosé, Okanagan Valley
- Best dessert wine: Hinzerling Winery NV Three Muses Ruby Port, Washington
- Best nongrape wine: Westport Winery NV Dawn Patrol, Washington
- Best Oregon Pinot Noir: Cathedral Ridge Winery 2010 Dampier Pinot Noir, Columbia Gorge
- Bob Woehler Memorial Award for best Cabernet Sauvignon: Gamache Vintners 2010 Cabernet Sauvignon, Columbia Valley.
Full results of the Northwest Wine Summit are not yet available.