- Apples to grapes: The path to the Lake Chelan AVA
- Maryhill, Gehringer Bros. stand tall at INDY International judging
- Alloro Vineyard weaves New World with Old in Chehalem Mountains
- Koenig Vineyards in Idaho stays local with sale to Nederends
- VineLines Dispatch: Tasting rooms spring up across Washington, Oregon
- 2019 vintage off to warm start in Northwest vineyards
- From apples to grapes: Lake Chelan AVA turns 10
- I Love Gamay festival helps kick off Oregon Wine Month
- Travel Oregon awards $125,000 in grants via Wine Country license plate
- Josh Lawrence, Tom Merkle team up to buy Conner Lee Vineyard
Renowned Vancouver chef moves to acclaimed BC wine country restaurant
Humphries will be just the second chef in Local’s four-year history. He replaces Paul Cecconi, who resigned earlier this year to open Brodo, his restaurant and catering business in nearby Penticton.
Local is owned and operated by Cameron Bond, Christa-Lee McWatters-Bond and her father, Harry McWatters, who founded Sumac Ridge Estate Winery — the province’s first estate winery. Daughter and father also are partners in the McWatters Collection winery.
Humphries most recently served as executive chef at C Restaurant, one of Vancouver’s top spots for seafood. The star of the Kambolis Restaurant Group also is the founding restaurant of the Vancouver Aquarium’s Ocean Wise Program, which is devoted to sourcing responsibly harvested and sustainable seafood.
Originally from southern England, Humphries has spent his career in the food trade. His journey began at youth on the family farm in Cornwall and led him to restaurants in London, including Michelin-rated Westbury Mayfair Hotel on Bond Street.
He arrived in British Columbia more than a decade ago, a path that included working as sous chef for David Hawksworth at West and executive chef positions at FigMint, Opus Hotel’s Elixir and the Heather Hospitality Group.
“I want food we serve to be authentic yet sophisticated, with an emphasis on the bounty sourced from nearby farmers. Food should simply taste like it’s supposed to. That’s why Local Lounge • Grille is such a perfect fit as they’re all about taste,” Humphries said in a news release. “As a chef, the Okanagan is Nirvana. It’s an extraordinary community of sustainably minded farmers, truly handcrafted microbrews, boutique wineries, all in a breathtakingly beautiful valley that has a laid-back approach to life. It truly is farm to fork. Here Local is not just a name, but a way of living.”
McWatters-Bond said, “We’re thrilled to have Chef Humphries lead our culinary team. As an active member of the Chefs’ Table Society, his like-minded philosophy for feeding the body and soul fits with our belief that Local is about being in the moment, and experiencing the best with loved ones.”