This take on traditional cranberry sauce will have you reaching for second helpings right away, as the fortified wine adds a sweetness that plays well with the cranberry’s natural tartness.
I used Thurston Wolfe‘s nonvintage Tawny, but any Tawny Port should work fine.
Makes 2 cups
- 1 cup Thurston Wolfe NV Tawny Port
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 1/2 cup dried, naturally sweetened cranberries
- 1 apple, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 cup water
- Combine all ingredients in a medium-sized saucepan and bring to a gentle boil over medium heat.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, then simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Using a potato masher or slotted spoon, gently press down on any whole cranberries.
- Cool and serve.
Note: This can be made a day in advance.