Looking for a straightforward recipe for a ground beef sauce to top spaghetti or linguine. This one adds a 1/2 cup of dry red wine for added complexity and flavor without any extra work.
Pasta with Ground Beef Sauce
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 16-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1 16-ounce package of dried pasta
- Shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan, combine beef, onion, garlic and green pepper. On medium-high heat, cook and stir until meat is brown and vegetables are tender. Drain the grease.
- Add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce and tomato paste, then season with dried basil, dried oregano, salt and pepper. Add red wine and stir.
- Reduce heat and allow to simmer for an hour. Stir occasionally.
- Cook pasta of your choice (we prefer linguine or spaghetti) according to directions.
- Serve pasta topped with ground beef sauce and Parmesan cheese.
Note: Not eating meat? It’s easy to swap out the ground beef with flavored textured soy proteins, found in health food stores or the health food section of your favorite grocery.