- Gehringer tops Great Northwest Invitational Wine Competition again
- Erica Landon, Ken Pahlow take Walter Scott Wines into second decade
- L’Ecole No. 41 announces management change
- Team Quady sweeps superlatives at Oregon Wine Competition
- Fries family sells Duck Pond Cellars to Great Oregon Wine Co.
- USA Today readers vote Stoller Family Estate tasting room No. 1 in nation
- Auction of Washington Wines tops $4 million again
- Ste. Michelle CEO Baseler retires after 17 years at the helm
- Fujishin, Lost West Winery use Riesling to top 2018 Idaho Wine Competition
- Private Barrel Auction raises $251,500 for Washington State University wine program
It’s barbecue season, so break out the summer reds
Sawtooth Winery 2011 Vineyard Select Skyline Red, Snake River Valley, $13
Best Buy! This Idaho winery was founded in 1987 by Brad Pintler, and it continues to produce delicious wines at affordable prices. The blend is built with Bordeaux varieties, but it gets a significant boost from Syrah (21%). It opens with aromas of cherry pie filling, vanilla, espresso and milk chocolate, but there’s also a pinch of crushed herbs and celery salt. The rich drink brings hints of sweet cherry and black currant. The dab of residual sugar doesn’t keep it from serving as a pleasant greeting after a rough day at the office.
Production: 2,300 cases