- Stoller names Santora as head winemaker for Chehalem Winery
- Vidon Vineyard melds science, craftsmanship into Oregon wine
- Oregon Pinot Noir shines at first New Orleans International Wine Awards
- Gehringer tops Great Northwest Invitational Wine Competition again
- Erica Landon, Ken Pahlow take Walter Scott Wines into second decade
- L’Ecole No. 41 announces management change
- Team Quady sweeps superlatives at Oregon Wine Competition
- Fries family sells Duck Pond Cellars to Great Oregon Wine Co.
- USA Today readers vote Stoller Family Estate tasting room No. 1 in nation
- Auction of Washington Wines tops $4 million again
Mercer Estates 2012 Cabernet Sauvignon, Columbia Valley, $28
A magical vintage in the hands of a talented winemaker with great fruit sources sets the table for a Cab of high style. This marked Jessica Munnell’s first vintage working for the Mercer brothers, and she incorporates a fair bit of Syrah (13%) in this melange that spent 26 months in barrel. That created an opulent and expressive nose of black cherry, black plum and raspberry licorice, clove and coffee with accents of rose petal and coffee. Inside, it’s loaded with a solid core of black fruit, bittersweet chocolate and dark toast. There’s beautiful balance with frontal tannins and a finish of blueberry acidity.
Production: 2,943 cases