- Gehringer tops Great Northwest Invitational Wine Competition again
- Erica Landon, Ken Pahlow take Walter Scott Wines into second decade
- L’Ecole No. 41 announces management change
- Team Quady sweeps superlatives at Oregon Wine Competition
- Fries family sells Duck Pond Cellars to Great Oregon Wine Co.
- USA Today readers vote Stoller Family Estate tasting room No. 1 in nation
- Auction of Washington Wines tops $4 million again
- Ste. Michelle CEO Baseler retires after 17 years at the helm
- Fujishin, Lost West Winery use Riesling to top 2018 Idaho Wine Competition
- Private Barrel Auction raises $251,500 for Washington State University wine program
Cedar River Cellars 2013 Watershed Merlot, Columbia Valley, $25
This young Renton, Wash., winery focuses this Merlot on one of the oldest sites in the Yakima Valley — Portteus Vineyard — the same source for his stellar Cab from the 2012 vintage. Oregon State University grad Micah Nasarow has developed a dark, big and spicy expression of Merlot. Aromas of black cherry, blackberry and plum pick up sweet oak notes from 18 months in a single twice-filled French barrel. The pour brings a nice continuation of ripe purple fruit, backed by pomegranate acidity and mild tannins. These wines are available in Renton at Top of the Hill Market, All Things Wine, Melrose Grill and via the winery.
Production: 25 cases