- Taste Washington 2019 tickets now available
- Photojournalist takes lens to Pacific Northwest 2018 harvest
- Stoller names Santora as head winemaker for Chehalem Winery
- Vidon Vineyard melds science, craftsmanship into Oregon wine
- Oregon Pinot Noir shines at first New Orleans International Wine Awards
- Gehringer tops Great Northwest Invitational Wine Competition again
- Erica Landon, Ken Pahlow take Walter Scott Wines into second decade
- L’Ecole No. 41 announces management change
- Team Quady sweeps superlatives at Oregon Wine Competition
- Fries family sells Duck Pond Cellars to Great Oregon Wine Co.
Balboa Winery 2013 Mith Red Wine, Walla Walla Valley, $55
Founding winemaker Tom Glase and acclaimed horticulturist Tom Waliser formed one of the Walla Walla Valley’s top teams with the launch of Balboa Winery in 2005. This Left Bank Bordeaux-style blend marks the 10th anniversary of their inaugural vintage, and their work with young Summit View Vineyard and estate Eidolon Vineyard is stunning. Cabernet Sauvignon (69%) takes the lead, yet the subtle influence of Cabernet Franc (17%) and structure from Merlot (14%) is profound. The 18 months in French oak barrels leads to aromas of toast, dark cherry, mint and bell pepper, backed by flavors of red currant, plum and black cherry with age-worthy tannins. Notes of milk chocolate and pomegranate combine to create a long finish. This earned a gold medal at the 2017 Walla Walla Valley Wine Competition, the fifth annual scholarship fundraiser for College Cellars.
Production: 460 cases