- Gehringer tops Great Northwest Invitational Wine Competition again
- Erica Landon, Ken Pahlow take Walter Scott Wines into second decade
- L’Ecole No. 41 announces management change
- Team Quady sweeps superlatives at Oregon Wine Competition
- Fries family sells Duck Pond Cellars to Great Oregon Wine Co.
- USA Today readers vote Stoller Family Estate tasting room No. 1 in nation
- Auction of Washington Wines tops $4 million again
- Ste. Michelle CEO Baseler retires after 17 years at the helm
- Fujishin, Lost West Winery use Riesling to top 2018 Idaho Wine Competition
- Private Barrel Auction raises $251,500 for Washington State University wine program
Mercer Estates 2015 Malbec, Horse Heaven Hills, $25
The Mercer family continues to pluck gems from its Spice Cabinet Vineyard in the Horse Heaven Hills near Alderdale, and the balance displayed in this young planting – established in 2009 – allowed for an 11 percent growth in this Malbec program from the 2015 vintage. A harvest made pristine first by a Pellenc optical sorter and then by hand-sorting at the crush pad leads to purity of fruit in the glass that’s focused on dark purple fruit akin to blackberry jam and blueberry preserves. Cherry skins, pleasingly bold tannins and a pulse of pomegranate juicy still leaves room for the telltale HHH dustiness in the finish.
Production: 955 cases