- Taste Washington 2019 tickets now available
- Photojournalist takes lens to Pacific Northwest 2018 harvest
- Stoller names Santora as head winemaker for Chehalem Winery
- Vidon Vineyard melds science, craftsmanship into Oregon wine
- Oregon Pinot Noir shines at first New Orleans International Wine Awards
- Gehringer tops Great Northwest Invitational Wine Competition again
- Erica Landon, Ken Pahlow take Walter Scott Wines into second decade
- L’Ecole No. 41 announces management change
- Team Quady sweeps superlatives at Oregon Wine Competition
- Fries family sells Duck Pond Cellars to Great Oregon Wine Co.
Hat Ranch Winery 2014 Tempranillo, Snake River Valley, $29
Young wineries and vineyards throughout the Snake River Valley, which includes both Idaho and Oregon, continue to explore Tempranillo. Sawtooth Vineyard, established by in the 1980s, introduced the Spanish grape to Idaho and it has found a home in Tim Harless’s program at Hat Ranch Winery. The 20 months in barrel develops notes of mocha, coconut and toffee to join the red currant, raspberry and Montmorency cherry. A touch of Petit Verdot (6%) adds to the tannin structure of bittersweet chocolate, and the low profile of alcohol allows that red fruit to shine. Suggested pairings from their Sunnyslope Wine District tasting room include bold meat dishes and aged Spanish cheeses.
Production: 106 cases