- Taste Washington 2019 tickets now available
- Photojournalist takes lens to Pacific Northwest 2018 harvest
- Stoller names Santora as head winemaker for Chehalem Winery
- Vidon Vineyard melds science, craftsmanship into Oregon wine
- Oregon Pinot Noir shines at first New Orleans International Wine Awards
- Gehringer tops Great Northwest Invitational Wine Competition again
- Erica Landon, Ken Pahlow take Walter Scott Wines into second decade
- L’Ecole No. 41 announces management change
- Team Quady sweeps superlatives at Oregon Wine Competition
- Fries family sells Duck Pond Cellars to Great Oregon Wine Co.
Boomtown by Dusted Valley 2015 Merlot, Washington, $19
Merlot tends to make for a rather strapping red wine in Washington state, but each vintage the boys at Dusted Valley Vintners in Walla Walla work with the Wahluke Wine Co., in Mattawa to produce an approachable wine for this their entry-level Boomtown brand. They use small additions of Cabernet Sauvignon (6%) and Petit Verdot (3%) to create a long, juicy and somewhat silky Merlot. Sweet blue fruit aromas of blackcurrant and plum include dried cherry and caramel. Inside, there’s Bing cherry, more plum and ripe blueberry flavors, backed by black tea, clove and milk chocolate from the 20% new French oak.
Production: 2,750 cases