- Stoller names Santora as head winemaker for Chehalem Winery
- Vidon Vineyard melds science, craftsmanship into Oregon wine
- Oregon Pinot Noir shines at first New Orleans International Wine Awards
- Gehringer tops Great Northwest Invitational Wine Competition again
- Erica Landon, Ken Pahlow take Walter Scott Wines into second decade
- L’Ecole No. 41 announces management change
- Team Quady sweeps superlatives at Oregon Wine Competition
- Fries family sells Duck Pond Cellars to Great Oregon Wine Co.
- USA Today readers vote Stoller Family Estate tasting room No. 1 in nation
- Auction of Washington Wines tops $4 million again
Eye of the Needle Winery 2013 Reserve Merlot, Columbia Valley, $30
While the Eye of the Needle reserve Cab comes from Stillwater Creek Vineyard on the Royal Slope, this Woodinville Warehouse District winery used historic Otis Vineyard in the Yakima Valley for its two barrels of reserve Merlot. Its complexity begins with the first whiff, which gathers up hints of chalkboard dust, clove, black cherry, bittersweet chocolate and mint. Black currant and cordial cherry flavors dominate, and the structure shows tremendous balance. Soft tannins and ripe raspberry acidity connect with a lovely herbal note in the finish. Bob Bullock’s shrewd work as a negoçiant is on display year after year at the country’s largest wine competition, the San Francisco Chronicle, and in 2018 this wine earned a gold medal at the Sonoma judging.
Production: 50 cases