- Gehringer tops Great Northwest Invitational Wine Competition again
- Erica Landon, Ken Pahlow take Walter Scott Wines into second decade
- L’Ecole No. 41 announces management change
- Team Quady sweeps superlatives at Oregon Wine Competition
- Fries family sells Duck Pond Cellars to Great Oregon Wine Co.
- USA Today readers vote Stoller Family Estate tasting room No. 1 in nation
- Auction of Washington Wines tops $4 million again
- Ste. Michelle CEO Baseler retires after 17 years at the helm
- Fujishin, Lost West Winery use Riesling to top 2018 Idaho Wine Competition
- Private Barrel Auction raises $251,500 for Washington State University wine program
Sawtooth Estate Winery 2015 Trout Trilogy Syrah, Snake River Valley, $35
Sawtooth Vineyard is not the largest vineyard in Idaho, but Brad Pintler’s 70-acre planting that he started in 1982 could be argued as the state’s most important test plot. In recent years, winemaker Meredith Smith has helped take it to the next level, and her Trout Trilogy Series continues to serve as a hook for out-of-state media, sommeliers and her club members. It is undeniably Syrah, starting with the first whiff of smoky cured meat, earthiness and leather joined by Bing cherry, blueberry, black peppercorns and green cardamom. Flavors are rich, ripe and redolent of those blue fruit as the structure combines silky tannins, juicy acidity and splash of cola.
Production: 336 cases