- Stoller names Santora as head winemaker for Chehalem Winery
- Vidon Vineyard melds science, craftsmanship into Oregon wine
- Oregon Pinot Noir shines at first New Orleans International Wine Awards
- Gehringer tops Great Northwest Invitational Wine Competition again
- Erica Landon, Ken Pahlow take Walter Scott Wines into second decade
- L’Ecole No. 41 announces management change
- Team Quady sweeps superlatives at Oregon Wine Competition
- Fries family sells Duck Pond Cellars to Great Oregon Wine Co.
- USA Today readers vote Stoller Family Estate tasting room No. 1 in nation
- Auction of Washington Wines tops $4 million again
Adega Northwest 2015 Firethorn Vineyard Trillium Block Cabernet Sauvignon, Columbia Valley/Oregon, $36
Portland sommelier/winemaker Bradford Cowin works with young Firethorn Vineyard, a fascinating Oregon site south of the Columbia River near Hermiston. This is a winemaker’s Cab, one that will appeal to foodies and fans of Bordeaux. While it spent 21 months in a five-barrel program that included a pair of new French oak barrels, the wood provides texture and allows for full appreciation of the grape. The nose features sweet herbs, high-toned red fruit and the chalkboard dust that’s hints at the Horse Heaven Hills in the distance to the north. On the palate, plums, pink strawberries and juicy Montmorency cherries hang together among substantial tannins, pinch of mint and red bell pepper that will play delicious with a ribeye or lamb burger. These wines are available at the Urban Crush winemaking co-op just west of Ladd’s Addition in Portland.
Production: 125 cases