- Stoller names Santora as head winemaker for Chehalem Winery
- Vidon Vineyard melds science, craftsmanship into Oregon wine
- Oregon Pinot Noir shines at first New Orleans International Wine Awards
- Gehringer tops Great Northwest Invitational Wine Competition again
- Erica Landon, Ken Pahlow take Walter Scott Wines into second decade
- L’Ecole No. 41 announces management change
- Team Quady sweeps superlatives at Oregon Wine Competition
- Fries family sells Duck Pond Cellars to Great Oregon Wine Co.
- USA Today readers vote Stoller Family Estate tasting room No. 1 in nation
- Auction of Washington Wines tops $4 million again
Love That Red Winery 2015 Riviere Galets Vineyard Fillies & Mares Grenache, The Rocks District of Milton-Freewater, $50
Grenache ranks among the most expensive grapes grown for Northwest winemakers, which explains why Woodinville producer Terry Wells raced to Riviere Galets Vineyard, a planting in the cobblestone owned by Tertulia Cellars in Walla Walla. (These days, viticulturist Ryan Driver is keeping more of that fruit in-house for his pal Ryan Raber.) Wells invested 18 months in four French barrels, one of them new, which might explains the hint of cola behind the nose of plum and blueberry. Deliciously dark and sweet blue fruit plays with smooth tannins that emerge on the second pass. Cherry juice and raspberry compote set the stage for a slaty finish that brings in more of that cola.
Production: 91 cases