- L’Ecole No. 41 announces management change
- Team Quady sweeps superlatives at Oregon Wine Competition
- Fries family sells Duck Pond Cellars to Great Oregon Wine Co.
- USA Today readers vote Stoller Family Estate tasting room No. 1 in nation
- Auction of Washington Wines tops $4 million again
- Ste. Michelle CEO Baseler retires after 17 years at the helm
- Fujishin, Lost West Winery use Riesling to top 2018 Idaho Wine Competition
- Private Barrel Auction raises $251,500 for Washington State University wine program
- Treveri Cellars kicks off harvest of 2018 vintage on Aug. 17
- McMinnville Wine and Food Classic announces 2019 judging panel
Sky River Meadery NV Solas Honey Wine, Washington, $26
Two years ago, Sky River Meadery moved to Woodinville from its longtime home along Highway 2 in Monroe so these wines are receiving more attention than ever before. And this product of golden honey — aged in Dry Fly whiskey barrels — ranks among the best meads in the Pacific Northwest. It begins with aromas of dried lemon peel, nutmeg, clove and powdered sugar before moving into elegant flavors of mascarpone, powdered sugar, jasmine and sugar cookies. There’s a wealth of residual sugar (14 percent), but the skillful use of acidity by winemaker Denice Ingalls makes this quaffable and worthy of serving with a fruit and cheese plate. This received a silver medal at the 2014 Seattle Wine and Food Experience.
Production: 140 cases