- Coyote Canyon Winery uses superb Sangiovese to top 7th annual Cascadia International Wine Competition
- Precept Wine floats marketing campaign for House Air
- Taste Washington looks to top 7,000 patrons for Grand Tastings
- VineLines Dispatch: James Beard Foundation spotlights Mike Sauer of Red Willow Vineyard
- Tim Hanni MW to speak at WSU fundraiser in Richland
- Auction of Washington Wines names Jamie Peha as executive director
- Auction of Washington Wines selects 2019 honorary grower, vintner
- Cabernet Sauvignon production grows by 29 percent in Washington wine industry
- Purity, sophistication at play on Youngberg Hill in McMinnville
- March enters as lion for Columbia Valley vineyards
Cascadia Wine Competition
The seventh annual Cascadia International Wine Competition will be staged April 9-11, 2019, at the Courtyard Richland Columbia Point in Richland, Wash.
For its first three years, the Cascadia was known as the Great Northwest Wine Competition. In 2016, we changed the name to differentiate it from our wine buyer-based Great Northwest Invitational Wine Competition each October.
- See the 2019 competition results
- See the 2018 competition results
- See the 2017 competition results
- See the 2016 competition results
- See the 2015 competition results
- See the 2014 competition results
- See the 2013 competition results
- All wines are tasted blind by category.
- Please submit three bottles of each entry because this is a multi-day judging.
Agreement with Enofile Online for entry portal
Starting with 2019, we have begun working with Enofile Online, a wine competition management platform headquartered in Portland, Ore. As of January, there were nearly 10,000 wineries in the United States using Enofile Online to enter wine competitions.
Here is the link to enter the 2019 Cascadia International Wine Competition. The fee is $60 per entry.
As a result, we have created sub-categories to help vintners place their wines within the class that best suits them.
And at the request of a number of wineries, there is now a Canned Wine category that includes six categories, including wine coolers and wine spritzers. For a complete list of categories, please go to the bottom of this page.
Benefits of entering the Cascadia International Wine Competition
- Wines are judged by some of the top wine professionals throughout the country, including journalists, winemakers, retailers and educators.
- Gold medals are announced immediately via email to wineries and on Twitter.
- Results are posted as soon as the competition concludes.
- Results are sent to our newspaper partners for inclusion in print and online.
- Great Northwest Wine’s online audience (25,000 unique visitors per month and more than 2,900 email newsletter subscribers) receives results in a timely manner.
- We link to medal winners’ website at no additional cost (some competitions charge up to $55 for such links).
- Top winners appear in our weekly wine column, which is syndicated in more than 20 Northwest newspapers.
- Select gold medal winners are featured as a “Wine of the Week” in the Tri-City Herald newspaper and on Wine Press Northwest’s website over the course of several weeks after the competition.
- Our growing social media network receives alerts about competition medal winners.
- Gold medal winners are automatically eligible for Wine Press Northwest magazine’s year-end Platinum Judging.
- Gold medal winners are automatically eligible for consideration in The Seattle Times Top 50 Wines of the Year list.
- Gold medal winners are automatically eligible for consideration in Great Northwest Wine’s Top 100 Wines of the Year list.
- The 2019 competition will be staged April 9-11 at the Courtyard by Marriott Richland – Columbia Point.
- All entries should arrive by Thursday, April 4 at the following address:
Cascadia Wine Competition
318 Wellhouse Loop
Richland, WA 99352
- Eric Degerman — firstname.lastname@example.org (509) 727-4317
- Richard Larsen, retired research winemaker and enologist, Washington State University, Richland, Wash.
- Barb Robertson, Pacific Northwest account manager, MA Silva, Santa Rosa, Calif.; columnist, Foothills magazine, Leavenworth, Wash.
- Ken Robertson, columnist, Wine Press Northwest magazine, Kennewick, Wash.
- Naomi Boutz, owner, Vine & Olive Riverstone Eatery and Wine Bar, Coeur d’Alene, Idaho
- Daniel Carr, co-owner, Visconti’s Hospitality Group, Wenatchee, Wash.
- Ilene Dudunake, owner, A New Vintage Wine Shop, Meridian, Idaho
- Kat Dykes, wine concierge, The Lodge at Columbia Point, Richland, Wash.
- Ariel Eberle, head winemaker, Yamhill Valley Vineyards, McMinnville, Ore.
- Glenn Grabiec, certified sommelier, Bartholomew Winery, Kennewick, Wash.
- Sean Hails, senior manager of operations/winemaking, Columbia Winery, Woodinville, Wash.
- Lane Hoss, wine buyer/vice president of marketing for Anthony’s Restaurants, Kirkland, Wash.
- Megan Hughes, enologist/white winemaker, Barnard Griffin Winery, Richland, Wash.
- Erin Kirschenmann, senior editor, Wine Business Monthly magazine, WineBusiness.com, Sonoma, Calif.
- Gregg McConnell, editor, Wine Press Northwest, Kennewick, Wash.
- Katy Michaud, winemaker, Double Canyon, West Richland, Wash.
- Jessica Munnell, co-owner/winemaker, Wautoma Wines, West Richland, Wash.
- Tim Norris, manager, Reds Wine Bar, Kent, Wash.
- Andy Perdue, wine writer, The Seattle Times
- Leslie Preston, owner/winemaker, Coiled Wines, Garden City, Idaho
- Lenny Rede, wine & spirits buyer, New Seasons Market, Mercer Island, Wash.
- Stephen Reustle, co-owner/winemaker, Reustle-Prayer Rock Vineyards, Roseburg, Ore.
- Frank Roth, winemaker, Tagaris Winery, Richland, Wash.
- Howard Soon, winemaker, Vanessa Vineyard, Cawston, British Columbia
- Coco Umiker, co-owner/winemaker, Clearwater Canyon Cellars, Lewiston, Idaho
- Kent Waliser, director of vineyard operations, Sagemoor Farms, Pasco, Wash.
- Richard Duval Images, Woodinville, Wash.
- Wine coolers
- Wine spritzers
Non-grape or flavored wines
- Pinot Noir
- Petite Sirah
- Cabernet Sauvignon
- Cabernet Franc
- Petit Verdot
- Touriga Naçional
- Tinta Cáo
- Maréchal Foch
- Red native/other hybrid varieties
- Blauer Zweigelt
- Red blend (specify dominant grape)
- Red blend led by Cabernet Sauvignon
- Red blend led by Merlot
- Red blend led by Syrah
- Red blend led by Zinfandel
- Red blend led by Primitivo
- Red blend led by Cabernet Franc
- Red blend led by Petit Verdot
- Red blend led by Malbec
- Red blend led by Petite Sirah
- Red blend led by Grenache
- Red blend led by Cinsaut
- Red blend led by Mourvèdre
- Red blend GSM
- Red blend led by Tempranillo
- Red blend led by Sangiovese
- Red blend led by Pinot Noir
- Red blend led by Barbera
- Red blend led by native/hybrid
- Red blend led by Lemberger
- Rosé (Pinot Gris)
- Rosé (Sangiovese)
- Rosé (Nebbiolo)
- Rosé (Pinot Noir)
- Rosé (Gamay)
- Rosé (Tempranillo)
- Rosé (Cabernet Franc)
- Rosé (Merlot)
- Rosé (Cabernet Sauvignon)
- Rosé (Cinsaut)
- Rosé (Grenache)
- Rosé (Syrah)
- Rosé (Mourvèdre)
- Rosé (GSM)
- Rosé (blend other than GSM)
- Blanc de blanc
- Blanc de noir
- Sparkling rosé
- Sparkling non-grape
- Sparkling Gamay
- Sparkling Syrah
- Sparkling Riesling
- Sparkling Gewürztraminer
- Sparkling Muscat
- Sparkling other
White dessert/Late harvest
- Ice wine/icewine
- Fortified, Port-style
- Fortified using non-Port varieties
- Sauvignon Blanc
- Chardonnay, oaked
- Chardonnay, unoaked
- White Pinot Noir
- White blend (led by Albariño)
- White blend (led by Auxerrois)
- White blend (led by Chenin Blanc)
- White blend (led by Chardonnay)
- White blend (led by Pinot Gris)
- White blend (led by Pinot Blanc)
- White blend (led by Gewürztraminer)
- White blend (led by Riesling)
- White blend (led by Sauvignon Blanc)
- White blend (led by Sèmillon)
- White blend (led by Muscat)
- White blend (led by Marsanne)
- White blend (led by Roussanne)
- White blend (led by Viognier)
- White Blends (specify dominant grape)
- Pinot Gris
- Chenin Blanc
- Grenache Blanc
- Pinot Blanc
- Grüner Veltliner
- Malvasia Bianca
- Riesling, dry
- Riesling, off-dry
- Riesling, sweet
- White variety, Other (Specify)
- Madeliene Angevine
- Melon de Bourgogne/Muscadet