- Betz Family Winery will not release wines from smoky 2020 vintage
- Matías Kúsulas replaces Aryn Morell as Gård Vintners winemaker
- Boise-area Telaya Wine Co., uses Idaho Syrah to top Cascadia International
- Sagemoor enters Walla Walla Valley grape market with Southwind Vineyard purchase
- Fire destroys distillery at Westport Winery Garden Resort in Washington
- Fries family departs Washington wine industry with Desert Wind sale
- Warnshuis realizes dream of Utopia along Oregon’s tiny Ribbon Ridge
- Fidelitas promotes Will Hoppes, Mitch Venohr as part of transition
- New Alliance of Women in Washington Wine already stands at 200 strong
- Bullocks bid goodbye to Eye of the Needle Winery in Woodinville
Great Northwest Invitational Wine Competition
Great Northwest Wine conducts a one-of-a-kind wine competition each October. It’s called The Great Northwest Invitational Wine Competition, and the 2021 judging will be staged Oct. 6-7 at the historic Columbia Gorge Hotel in Hood River, Ore.
- See the 2020 results
- See the 2019 results
- See the 2018 results
- See the 2017 results.
- See the 2016 results.
- See the 2015 results.
- See the 2014 results.
- See the 2013 results.
Here’s how it works:
- We invite influential wine professionals to join us in this competition. (The 2020 panel size was reduced in order to achieve social distancing for judges and increase safety for the backroom team while operating in the hotel’s historic Benson Ballroom.)
- Judges nominate as many as 120 Pacific Northwest wines to be invited.
- The panel then evaluates the wines in a blind competition.
Nominating judges for the ninth annual Great Northwest Invite include:
- Amberleigh Brownson, a certified sommelier, is the wine buyer and director of operations for Leader Block Wine Co. & Eatery in Ferndale, Wash.
- Kathy Byrd oversees distributor management and sales for Real Wine Alliance in Woodinville, Wash.
- Ilene Dudunake owns A New Vintage Wine Shop near Boise, Idaho. (Read her profile in the Idaho Statesman.)
- Kat Dykes is the founder/agent of Washington Women on Wine, a consumer-driven wine-buying group based in the Tri-Cities. (She is an alumnae of Wine Press Northwest magazine’s Match Maker series during her days as wine concierge/buyer at The Lodge at Columbia Point.)
- Clinton Hoiland is owner/operator of Twisted Vine Wine Tours, Lewiston, Idaho, and works Northern Idaho on- and off-premise sales for Idaho Wine Merchant.
- Ellen Landis is a certified sommelier, wine journalist and renowned international wine judge with offices in St. Petersburg, Fla., and Windsor, Calif.
- Sophia McDonald Bennett is a journalist and educator in Eugene, Ore., who contributes to SevenFifty Daily, Wine Enthusiast, Wine Press Northwest and the Slow Wine Guide.
- Tim Norris is proprietor of Eyes on the Vine wine services in Kent, Wash. (He is an alumni of Wine Press Northwest magazine’s Match Maker series during his days as GM of Reds Wine Bar.)
- Katelyn Peil is beverage director of the Seattle-based Heavy Restaurant Group.
- Mark Takagi is the wine buyer and specialty sales director for Seattle-based Metropolitan Market.
- Sara Wicks is the owner and wine buyer of Vin Wine Bar and Cellar in Moscow, Idaho.
- Paul Zitarelli is the founder/owner of Full Pull Wines in Seattle and author of 36 Bottles of Wine.
Chief judges for the 2021 Invite will be Kristine Bono, general manager of Tertulia Cellars in Walla Walla, Wash., and Dana Van Nest, a writer and communications strategist as well as a student of the Northwest Wine Academy at South Seattle College.