- Bledsoe, McDaniels buy Hope Well Vineyard in Oregon’s Eola-Amity Hills
- Oregon wine harvest fell by 29% in 2020, but growth continues
- Quilceda Creek acquires 22 acres of famed Champoux Vineyards from Woodward Canyon
- Hat Ranch Winery tops Idaho Wine Competition with Cabernet Franc from Lewis-Clark Valley
- Central Oregon Winegrowers schedule summer summit
- Avennia purchases vineyard, tasting room on Red Mountain
- Heat units in Northwest vineyards as much as 29% ahead of last year
- Washington Wine Industry Foundation awards 6 of its 7 scholarships to women
- Kiona, Barnard Griffin toast 40th Red Mountain harvest with fundraiser Cab
- Pandemic prompts Red Mountain wineries to postpone consumer weekend
Great Northwest Invitational Wine Competition
Great Northwest Wine conducts a one-of-a-kind wine competition each October. It’s called The Great Northwest Invitational Wine Competition, and the 2021 judging will be staged Oct. 6-7 at the historic Columbia Gorge Hotel in Hood River, Ore.
- See the 2020 results
- See the 2019 results
- See the 2018 results
- See the 2017 results.
- See the 2016 results.
- See the 2015 results.
- See the 2014 results.
- See the 2013 results.
Here’s how it works:
- We invite influential wine professionals to join us in this competition. (The 2020 panel size was reduced in order to achieve social distancing for judges and increase safety for the backroom team while operating in the hotel’s historic Benson Ballroom.)
- Judges nominate as many as 120 Pacific Northwest wines to be invited.
- The panel then evaluates the wines in a blind competition.
Nominating judges for the ninth annual Great Northwest Invite include:
- Kathy Byrd is managing partner and oversees distributor management/sales for Real Wine Alliance in Woodinville, Wash.
- Jeff Cox is the wine, beer and spirits merchandiser for PCC Community Markets throughout the Puget Sound.
- Ilene Dudunake owns A New Vintage Wine Shop near Boise, Idaho. (Read her profile in the Idaho Statesman.)
- Kent FitzGerald is the proprietor of KWFitzGerald Consulting, Walla Walla, Wash. He served as senior national buyer for Cost Plus World Market and The Henry Wine Group prior to its acquisition by Winebow.
- Clinton Hoiland is owner/operator of Twisted Vine Wine Tours, Lewiston, Idaho, and works Northern Idaho on- and off-premise sales for Idaho Wine Merchant.
- Chris Horn is director of liquids at the Heavy Restaurant Group based in Seattle and co-author of Cook + Cork.
- Ellen Landis is a certified sommelier, wine journalist and renowned international wine judge with offices in St. Petersburg, Fla., and Windsor, Calif.
- Sophia McDonald is a journalist and educator in Eugene, Ore., who contributes to SevenFifty Daily, Wine Enthusiast, Wine Press Northwest and the Slow Wine Guide.
- Tim O’Brien is the longtime corporate beverage director for Salty’s Restaurants on Seattle’s Alki Beach, Redondo Beach in Des Moines, Wash., and along Portland’s Marine Drive.
- Katelyn Peil is beverage director at the Heavy Restaurant Group and is based in Kirkland, Wash.
- Ken Robertson is a columnist for Wine Press Northwest magazine in Kennewick, Wash.
- Paul Zitarelli is the founder/owner of Full Pull Wines in Seattle and author of 36 Bottles of Wine.
Chief judges for the 2021 Invite will be Dana Van Nest, a writer and communications strategist who is a contributor to Winebow and a student of the Napa Valley Wine Academy; and April Reddout, proprietor of Reddout Wine Consulting, which is based in Washington’s Columbia Valley.