- Auction of Washington Wines names Jamie Peha as executive director
- Auction of Washington Wines selects 2019 honorary grower, vintner
- Cabernet Sauvignon production grows by 29 percent in Washington wine industry
- Purity, sophistication at play on Youngberg Hill in McMinnville
- March enters as lion for Columbia Valley vineyards
- Ste. Michelle books 27 shows for Summer Concert Series
- Vancouver USA wineries set table for Savor SW WA Wine
- Young AVA launches Lewis-Clark Valley Wine Festival
- Wine Marketing Roundtable set for April 8 in Walla Walla
- Woodinville photojournalist debuts VineLines Dispatch
Great Northwest Invitational Wine Competition
Great Northwest Wine conducts a one-of-a-kind wine competition each October. It’s called The Great Northwest Invitational Wine Competition, and the 2019 judging will be Wednesday, Oct. 2 and Thursday, Oct. 3 at the historic Columbia Gorge Hotel in Hood River, Ore.
- See the 2018 results
- See the 2017 results.
- See the 2016 results.
- See the 2015 results.
- See the 2014 results.
- See the 2013 results.
Here’s how it works:
- We invite influential wine professionals to join us in this competition.
- Each of them has nominated up to 100 Pacific Northwest wines to be judged.
- Each of them will then judge the wines as part of our blind competition.
The 2018 nominating judges were:
- Chris Arora is the lead sommelier at John Howie Steak in Bellevue, Wash., and key account manager in Seattle for American Northwest Import & Distribution, which also has offices in Portland and Spokane.
- Naomi Boutz is owner and wine director of Vine & Olive Riverstone Eatery and Wine Bar in Coeur d’Alene, Idaho.
- Daniel Carr is co-owner, Visconti’s Italian Restaurant Group and Cured by Visconti, Wenatchee, Wash.
- Jeff Cox is wine buyer for PCC Natural Markets in the Puget Sound.
- Ilene Dudunake owns A New Vintage Wine Shop near Boise, Idaho.
- Gary Hayes is president of Explorer Media Group, Seaside, Ore.
- Dave Holstrom operates Guy du Vin, a restaurant wine program consulting business in Portland.
- Chris Horn is the wine director for Seattle-based Heavy Restaurant Group and Purple Café & Wine Bar and co-author of Cook + Cork.
- Ellen Landis is a certified sommelier, wine journalist and renowned international wine judge.
- Tim O’Brien is corporate director of beverage at Salty’s Restaurants in Seattle.
- Katelyn Peil is beverage director of the Seattle-based Heavy Restaurant Group.
- Yashar Shayan is a certified sommelier and founder of the Seattle-based retailer ImpulseWine.com.
- Steve Sinkler is owner of The Wine Shack in Cannon Beach, Ore.
- Dave Smith is director of buying for Everything Wine in North Vancouver, British Columbia.
- Annie Sullivan is the beverage director and public relations manager for Anthony’s Restaurants.
- Mark Takagi is specialty sales director of the Seattle-based Metropolitan Market group.
- Jennifer Williamson, a certified sommelier, is the wine buyer, wine educator and restaurant manager for the Neuman Hotel Group in Ashland, Ore.
- Sara Wilson is wine buyer/GM for Mystic Café, Lewiston, Idaho.
- Doug Zellers is co-owner/general manager of Ray’s Boathouse, Café & Catering in Seattle.
- Paul Zitarelli is owner for Full Pull Wines in Seattle, wine writer for Seattle magazine and author of 36 Bottles of Wine by Sasquatch Books.
Gold medals will be posted on Twitter as they are awarded and emailed to the wineries. Full results will be posted upon the conclusion of the competition.