- Tinte Cellars donation drive for Ukraine enters final week
- Jackson Family Wines invests in Walla Walla vines, wines
- 2022 Idaho Winery of the Year: Holesinsky Vineyard and Winery
- 2022 Idaho Winery to Watch: Rivaura Vineyards and Winery
- 2022 Washington Winery of the Year: Westport Winery Garden Resort
- 2022 Washington Winery to Watch: Liberty Lake Wine Cellars
- 2022 Oregon Winery of the Year: Chris James Cellars
- Long path of Andrew Riechers leads to early acclaim for Audeant Wines
- The Wine Knows: Upchurch hits sweet spot with Cab on Red Mountain
- Northwest Merlot remains memorable in talented hands
Great Northwest Invitational Wine Competition
Great Northwest Wine conducts a one-of-a-kind wine competition each October. It’s called The Great Northwest Invitational Wine Competition, and the 2022 judging will be staged Oct. 5-6 at the historic Columbia Gorge Hotel in Hood River, Ore.
- See the 2021 results
- See the 2020 results
- See the 2019 results
- See the 2018 results
- See the 2017 results.
- See the 2016 results.
- See the 2015 results.
- See the 2014 results.
- See the 2013 results.
Here’s how it works:
- We invite influential wine professionals to join us in this competition. (The 2020 panel size was reduced in order to achieve social distancing for judges and increase safety for the backroom team while operating in the hotel’s historic Benson Ballroom.)
- Judges nominate as many as 120 Pacific Northwest wines to be invited.
- The panel then evaluates the wines in a blind competition.
Nominating judges for the ninth annual Great Northwest Invite included:
- Kathy Byrd is managing partner and oversees distributor management/sales for Real Wine Alliance in Woodinville, Wash.
- Jeff Cox is the wine, beer and spirits merchandiser for PCC Community Markets throughout the Puget Sound.
- Mary Cressler is a certified sommelier, co-author of Fire + Wine: 75 Smoke-Infused Recipes from the Grill with Perfect Wine Pairings, and the wine club curator for Vindulge.com, Portland, Ore.
- Ilene Dudunake owns A New Vintage Wine Shop near Boise, Idaho. (Read her profile in the Idaho Statesman.)
- Kent FitzGerald is the proprietor of KWFitzGerald Consulting, Walla Walla, Wash. He served as senior national buyer for Cost Plus World Market and The Henry Wine Group prior to its acquisition by Winebow.
- Clinton Hoiland is owner/operator of Twisted Vine Wine Tours, Lewiston, Idaho, and works Northern Idaho on- and off-premise sales for Idaho Wine Merchant.
- Chris Horn is director of liquids at the Heavy Restaurant Group based in Seattle and co-author of Cook + Cork.
- Ellen Landis is a certified sommelier, journalist and renowned international wine judge with offices in St. Petersburg, Fla., and Windsor, Calif.
- Sophia McDonald, a journalist and educator in Eugene, Ore., also contributes to SevenFifty Daily, Wine Enthusiast, Wine Press Northwest and the Slow Wine Guide.
- Tim O’Brien is the longtime corporate beverage director for Salty’s Restaurants on Seattle’s Alki Beach, Redondo Beach in Des Moines, Wash., and along Portland’s Marine Drive.
- Katelyn Peil is beverage director at the Heavy Restaurant Group and is based in Kirkland, Wash.
- April Reddout, proprietor of Reddout Wine Consulting, which is based in Washington’s Columbia Valley.
- Barb Robertson, Pacific Northwest account manager, Saxco International, Concord, Calif.; columnist, Foothills magazine, Wenatchee, Wash.
- Ken Robertson is a columnist for Wine Press Northwest magazine in Kennewick, Wash.
- Paul Zitarelli is the founder/owner of Full Pull Wines in Seattle and author of 36 Bottles of Wine.
Chief judges for the 2021 Invite were certified sommelier Kristine Bono and Dana Van Nest, a writer and communications strategist who is a contributor to Winebow and a student of the Napa Valley Wine Academy.