- VineLines Dispatch: September to remember on Red Mountain
- VineLines Dispatch: Woodinville crushes through smoke, pandemic
- Sweet 16th AVA in Washington belongs to Candy Mountain
- H3 2016 Cab rides off as Washington State Wine Competition best of show
- Elephant 7 soars with Yellow Bird Vineyard Grenache at Walla Walla Valley Wine Competition
- Dunham Cellars in Walla Walla raises $15,049 for suicide prevention
- USA Today readers vote Walla Walla Valley as America’s Best Wine Region
- Williamson Vineyards young Albariño rises to top of 2020 Idaho Wine Competition
- 2020 vintage for Northwest tracks dry, warm but not hot
- 5 Idaho wineries to pour at drive-in theater
Great Northwest Invitational Wine Competition
Great Northwest Wine conducts a one-of-a-kind wine competition each October. It’s called The Great Northwest Invitational Wine Competition, and the 2020 judging will be Wednesday, Oct. 7 and Thursday, Oct. 8 at the historic Columbia Gorge Hotel in Hood River, Ore.
Please click here to enter the eighth annual Great Northwest Invite.
- See the 2019 results
- See the 2018 results
- See the 2017 results.
- See the 2016 results.
- See the 2015 results.
- See the 2014 results.
- See the 2013 results.
Here’s how it works:
- We invite influential wine professionals to join us in this competition. (The panel size has been reduced this year in order to achieve social distancing and safety for the backroom team and judges as we work in the hotel’s historic Benson Ballroom.)
- Judges nominate as many as 120 Pacific Northwest wines to be invited.
- The panel then evaluates the wines in a blind competition.
This year’s nominating judges include:
- Amberleigh Brownson is the wine buyer and director of operations for Leader Block Wine Co. & Eatery in Ferndale, Wash.
- Kathy Byrd oversees distributor management and sales for Real Wine Alliance in Woodinville, Wash.
- Deb J. Carter is executive director of the Walter Clore Wine & Culinary Center, Prosser, Wash.
- Ilene Dudunake owns A New Vintage Wine Shop near Boise, Idaho. (Read her profile in the Idaho Statesman.)
- Clinton Hoiland is owner/operator of Twisted Vine Wine Tours, Lewiston, Idaho, and works Northern Idaho on- and off-premise sales for Idaho Wine Merchant.
- Ellen Landis is a certified sommelier, wine journalist and renowned international wine judge based in St. Petersburg, Fla.
- Sophia McDonald Bennett is a journalist based in Eugene, Ore., who contributes to SevenFifty Daily.
- Tim Norris was general manager of Reds Wine Bar in Kent, Wash. (He is a past-participant of Wine Press Northwest magazine’s Match Maker series.)
- Katelyn Peil is beverage director of the Seattle-based Heavy Restaurant Group.
- Sara Wicks is the owner and wine buyer of Vin Wine Bar and Cellar in Moscow, Idaho.
Chief judges for the 2020 Invite are Richard Larsen, research winemaker/enologist emeritus, Washington State University, Richland, Wash.; Ken Robertson, columnist for Wine Press Northwest magazine. and editor emeritus of the Tri-City (Wash.) Herald; and Dana Van Nest, a writer and communications strategist as well as a student of the Northwest Wine Academy at South Seattle College.
Gold medals will be posted on Twitter as they are awarded and emailed to the wineries. Full results will be posted upon the conclusion of the competition.