This one-dish wonder is loaded with delicious flavors and ample protein and should pair beautifully with Mourvèdre, which often calls for rich, savory dishes.
This takes only a few minutes to prep and about two hours of total time to prepare.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup finely chopped carrots
- 3/4 cup brown rice, uncooked
- 3/4 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped bell pepper (any color)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 14.5 oz can chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
- Preheat oven at 350 degrees F.
- Coat a three-quarter baking dish with cooking spray, then combine the onions, carrots, lentils, rice, cheese, bell pepper, seasonings and herbs. Stir in broth and tomatoes.
- Cover and bake until liquid is absorbed and lentils and rice are tender, about 1 1/4 to 1 3/4 hours.