- Gehringer tops Great Northwest Invitational Wine Competition again
- Erica Landon, Ken Pahlow take Walter Scott Wines into second decade
- L’Ecole No. 41 announces management change
- Team Quady sweeps superlatives at Oregon Wine Competition
- Fries family sells Duck Pond Cellars to Great Oregon Wine Co.
- USA Today readers vote Stoller Family Estate tasting room No. 1 in nation
- Auction of Washington Wines tops $4 million again
- Ste. Michelle CEO Baseler retires after 17 years at the helm
- Fujishin, Lost West Winery use Riesling to top 2018 Idaho Wine Competition
- Private Barrel Auction raises $251,500 for Washington State University wine program
Mt St Helens Cellars 2011 Spirit Lake Fire Mountain Red, Yakima Valley, $28
Gary Dunbar makes about 20 wines in southwestern Washington — in the shadow of Mount St. Helens. Nearly half of those are fruit wines, yet this is his 50/50 blend of Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot from the Yakima Valley. The nose shows dusty oak and sandalwood with tones of ripe raspberry, boysenberry, cherry and rose hips. On the palate, there are huge flavors of dark plum and black cherry, backed by elegant tannins, rose hips and hibiscus tea. It earned a silver medal at the 2014 Capital Food and Wine Festival Wine Competition, and the wines are available at the Dunbars’ tasting room in Castle Rock — just off Interstate 5 south of the Toutle River.
Production: 150 cases