- Taste Washington 2019 tickets now available
- Photojournalist takes lens to Pacific Northwest 2018 harvest
- Stoller names Santora as head winemaker for Chehalem Winery
- Vidon Vineyard melds science, craftsmanship into Oregon wine
- Oregon Pinot Noir shines at first New Orleans International Wine Awards
- Gehringer tops Great Northwest Invitational Wine Competition again
- Erica Landon, Ken Pahlow take Walter Scott Wines into second decade
- L’Ecole No. 41 announces management change
- Team Quady sweeps superlatives at Oregon Wine Competition
- Fries family sells Duck Pond Cellars to Great Oregon Wine Co.
Airfield Estates 2014 Merlot, Yakima Valley, $18
The Miller family quietly continues to rank among the leaders in Washington’s wine industry, and this year it celebrates the 50th anniversary of grandfather Don Miller planting a commercial vineyard on the family’s Airport Ranch near Prosser. It’s now spans nearly 900 acres, supplying many winemakers throughout the Northwest with quality fruit. Marcus Miller turns this lot into a rush of dark red fruit as strawberry, cherry and red plum notes lead to a Merlot of impressive depth that’s smooth, bright and balanced with notes of anise and minerality. Suggested pairings include Braised Beef Ragu with Pappardelle Pasta, Pan-Seared Duck Breast with Blueberry Sauce, Grilled Flat Iron Steak with Blue Cheese Butter or cheeses such as Gouda or Gorgonzola.
Production: 2,272 cases