- Gehringer tops Great Northwest Invitational Wine Competition again
- Erica Landon, Ken Pahlow take Walter Scott Wines into second decade
- L’Ecole No. 41 announces management change
- Team Quady sweeps superlatives at Oregon Wine Competition
- Fries family sells Duck Pond Cellars to Great Oregon Wine Co.
- USA Today readers vote Stoller Family Estate tasting room No. 1 in nation
- Auction of Washington Wines tops $4 million again
- Ste. Michelle CEO Baseler retires after 17 years at the helm
- Fujishin, Lost West Winery use Riesling to top 2018 Idaho Wine Competition
- Private Barrel Auction raises $251,500 for Washington State University wine program
Hat Ranch Winery 2014 Hat Trick Red, Snake River Valley, $27
After retiring as a commercial airline pilot, Tim Harless has more time to devote to his program in the Sunnyslope Wine District. That’s an exciting development for the Idaho wine industry considering he’d previously earned top awards at West Coast competitions both with standalone variety bottlings and blends. Here is his take on Right Bank Bordeaux-style blending, a Merlot-heavy work from Skyline Vineyard with Cabernet Sauvignon (13%) and Petit Verdot (4%) from sister site Sawtooth Vineyard. Sweet herbal notes of lavender and horehound are joined by cherry, vanilla and cola. On the palate, there’s balance to the dark blue flavors with cherry skin tannins and a remarkable overlay of bright cherry acidity as this wine continues to evolve. These wines are available in more than 30 states via VinoShipper.
Production: 94 cases