- Stoller names Santora as head winemaker for Chehalem Winery
- Vidon Vineyard melds science, craftsmanship into Oregon wine
- Oregon Pinot Noir shines at first New Orleans International Wine Awards
- Gehringer tops Great Northwest Invitational Wine Competition again
- Erica Landon, Ken Pahlow take Walter Scott Wines into second decade
- L’Ecole No. 41 announces management change
- Team Quady sweeps superlatives at Oregon Wine Competition
- Fries family sells Duck Pond Cellars to Great Oregon Wine Co.
- USA Today readers vote Stoller Family Estate tasting room No. 1 in nation
- Auction of Washington Wines tops $4 million again
Sawtooth Estate Winery 2015 30th Anniversary Red Blend, Snake River Valley, $25
Meredith Smith showcases some of Idaho’s Snake River Valley terroir while also providing another example of how the influence of Syrah lifts so many Northwest red blends. She began with Bordeaux varieties of Cabernet Sauvignon (40%), Petit Verdot (20%), Merlot (10%) and Malbec (10) and made room for Syrah (20%). While there’s a theme of chocolate-coverage cherries, notes of smoked meat and plum come alongside touches of tarragon, sage and iron shavings. Subtle use of oak allows for the fruit to sing, and there’s terrific balance to the interplay of tannins and black currant acidity. It’s a delicious tribute by Sawtooth Estate Winery to what the Pintler family started north of Surrey Road near Nampa, a winery that began production with the 1987 vintage.
Production: 227 cases