- Lenné Estate exudes sophistication, sense of place with Pinot Noir
- Dry pink wines extend rosé trend in Pacific Northwest
- Oregon wine leader King Estate promotes winemaker Brent Stone to COO
- Metropolitan Grill in Seattle receives rare Grand Award from Wine Spectator
- Maryhill Winery preps for final concert at its amphitheater
- Washington wine research seminar set for July 11 in Woodinville
- Taste of Cascadia gathers 20 top winemakers to The Lodge at Columbia Point
- Brian Carter rosé rises to top of Washington State Wine Competition
- Tiny Grantwood Winery tops Walla Walla Valley Wine Competition
- Savor Idaho serves as delicious barometer for Idaho wine industry
Picnic and Barrel Auction raises funds for Children’s Hospital, WSU
WOODINVILLE, Wash. — More than 100 winemakers poured during the Auction of Washington Wines’ Picnic and Barrel Auction on Thursday, Aug. 14, 2014, at Chateau Ste. Michelle in Woodinville.
Chefs from Tulalip Resort Casino in Marysville provided small bites as guests rubbed shoulders with Washington winemakers and bid on barrel samples from 23 wineries. The top five highest bids for each wine will receive a case of that wine once it’s released.
A ticket cost $125 per person, and proceeds provide financial support for uncompensated care at Seattle Children’s Hospital and to invest in viticulture and enology research and education at Washington State University. The 2014 barrel auction and picnic generated $93,000, a record amount and an increase of $21,000 from last year.
Auction of Washington Wines is a 501 (c) (3) non-profit organization dedicated to promoting Washington wine while producing and hosting one of the most celebrated wine auctions in the country. The Auction of Washington Wines has raised more than $30 million since its inception in 1988.