- L’Ecole No. 41 announces management change
- Team Quady sweeps superlatives at Oregon Wine Competition
- Fries family sells Duck Pond Cellars to Great Oregon Wine Co.
- USA Today readers vote Stoller Family Estate tasting room No. 1 in nation
- Auction of Washington Wines tops $4 million again
- Ste. Michelle CEO Baseler retires after 17 years at the helm
- Fujishin, Lost West Winery use Riesling to top 2018 Idaho Wine Competition
- Private Barrel Auction raises $251,500 for Washington State University wine program
- Treveri Cellars kicks off harvest of 2018 vintage on Aug. 17
- McMinnville Wine and Food Classic announces 2019 judging panel
GSM among Washington’s most delicious blends
Cloudlift Cellars 2013 Zephyr GSM, Columbia Valley, $34
Tom Stangeland lives on Seattle’s Capitol Hill, makes his wine near Georgetown and brings his fruit from east of the Cascades. His blend of Rhône varieties starts with Syrah (42%) from Arianses Vineyard on the Wahluke Slope that’s co-fermented with Viognier, and he swirls in Grenache (20%) off Elephant Mountain as well as Mourvèdre from sister site Sugarloaf at bit lower in the Rattlesnake Hills. The nose of dried oregano, Rainier cherry, tar and vanilla gives way to flavors of black cherry, juicy blueberry and Marionberry. Touches of cola, black olive and toast are not lost within the balanced mouth feel. Stangeland enjoys pairing this with Mediterranean-themed dishes such as Cannellini Beans with Sausage, Salade Niçoise and bouillabaisse.
Production: 128 cases