- L’Ecole No. 41 announces management change
- Team Quady sweeps superlatives at Oregon Wine Competition
- Fries family sells Duck Pond Cellars to Great Oregon Wine Co.
- USA Today readers vote Stoller Family Estate tasting room No. 1 in nation
- Auction of Washington Wines tops $4 million again
- Ste. Michelle CEO Baseler retires after 17 years at the helm
- Fujishin, Lost West Winery use Riesling to top 2018 Idaho Wine Competition
- Private Barrel Auction raises $251,500 for Washington State University wine program
- Treveri Cellars kicks off harvest of 2018 vintage on Aug. 17
- McMinnville Wine and Food Classic announces 2019 judging panel
Great Northwest Invitational Wine Competition
Great Northwest Wine conducts a one-of-a-kind wine competition each October. It’s called The Great Northwest Invitational Wine Competition, and the 2018 judging will be Oct. 3-4 at the Columbia Gorge Hotel in Hood River, Ore.
- See the 2017 results.
- See the 2016 results.
- See the 2015 results.
- See the 2014 results.
- See the 2013 results.
Here’s how it works:
- We invite influential wine professionals to join us in this competition.
- Each of them has nominated up to 100 Pacific Northwest wines to be judged.
- Each of them will then judge the wines as part of our blind competition.
Here are the nominating judges:
- Chris Arora is the lead sommelier at John Howie Steak in Bellevue, Wash., and key account manager in Seattle for American Northwest Import & Distribution, which also has offices in Portland and Spokane.
- Naomi Boutz is owner and wine director of Vine & Olive Riverstone Eatery and Wine Bar in Coeur d’Alene, Idaho.
- Daniel Carr is co-owner, Visconti’s Italian Restaurant Group and Cured by Visconti, Wenatchee, Wash.
- Jeff Cox is wine buyer for PCC Natural Markets in the Puget Sound.
- Ilene Dudunake owns A New Vintage Wine Shop near Boise, Idaho.
- Gary Hayes is president of Explorer Media Group, Seaside, Ore.
- Dave Holstrom operates Guy du Vin, a restaurant wine program consulting business in Portland.
- Chris Horn is the wine director for Seattle-based Heavy Restaurant Group and Purple Café & Wine Bar and co-author of Cook + Cork.
- Ellen Landis is a sommelier, wine journalist and renowned international wine judge.
- Tim O’Brien is corporate director of beverage at Salty’s Restaurants in Seattle.
- Katelyn Peil is beverage director of the Seattle-based Heavy Restaurant Group.
- Yashar Shayan is a certified sommelier and founder of the Seattle-based retailer ImpulseWine.com.
- Steve Sinkler is owner of The Wine Shack in Cannon Beach, Ore.
- Dave Smith is director of buying for Everything Wine in North Vancouver, British Columbia.
- Annie Sullivan is the beverage director and public relations manager for Anthony’s Restaurants.
- Mark Takagi is specialty sales director of the Seattle-based Metropolitan Market group.
- Jennifer Williamson, a certified sommelier, is the wine buyer, wine educator and restaurant manager for the Neuman Hotel Group in Ashland, Ore.
- Sara Wilson is wine buyer/GM for Mystic Café, Lewiston, Idaho.
- Doug Zellers is co-owner/general manager of Ray’s Boathouse, Café & Catering in Seattle.
- Paul Zitarelli is owner for Full Pull Wines in Seattle, wine writer for Seattle magazine and author of 36 Bottles of Wine by Sasquatch Books.
Gold medals will be posted on Twitter as they are awarded and emailed to the wineries. Full results will be posted upon the conclusion of the competition.