- WSU studies tiny Samurai wasp in war vs. stink bug
- Maryhill Winery to be part of $1.5 billion Vancouver USA waterfront development
- Illahe Vineyards goes canoe for Pinot Noir delivery to PDX
- Walla Walla Valley vines branch out nearly 3,000 acres
- 2018 heat units tracking near 2014 vintage for Northwest wine
- Washington wine lovers should seek out big Petit Verdot
- Bergevin Lane in Walla Walla promotes Smith to head winemaker
- Katie Nelson takes over for Juan Muñoz Oca at Columbia Crest
- Lenné Estate exudes sophistication, sense of place with Pinot Noir
- Dry pink wines extend rosé trend in Pacific Northwest
Great Northwest Invitational Wine Competition
Great Northwest Wine conducts a one-of-a-kind wine competition each October. It’s called The Great Northwest Invitational Wine Competition, and the 2018 judging will be Oct. 3-4 at the Columbia Gorge Hotel in Hood River, Ore.
- See the 2017 results.
- See the 2016 results.
- See the 2015 results.
- See the 2014 results.
- See the 2013 results.
Here’s how it works:
- We invite influential wine professionals to join us in this competition.
- Each of them has nominated up to 100 Pacific Northwest wines to be judged.
- Each of them will then judge the wines as part of our blind competition.
Here are the nominating judges:
- Naomi Boutz is owner and wine director of Vine & Olive Riverstone Eatery and Wine Bar in Coeur d’Alene, Idaho.
- Jeff Cox is wine buyer for PCC Natural Markets in the Puget Sound.
- Ilene Dudunake owns A New Vintage Wine Shop near Boise, Idaho.
- Cindy Goulet is owner/wine director for LU LU Craft Bar + Kitchen and 3 Eyed Fish Wine Bar in Richland, Wash.
- Gary Hayes is president of Explorer Media Group, Seaside, Ore.
- Dave Holstrom operates Guy du Vin, a restaurant wine program consulting business in Portland.
- Lane Hoss is vice president of marketing at Anthony’s Restaurants.
- Chris Horn is the wine director for Seattle-based Heavy Restaurant Group and Purple Café & Wine Bar.
- Ellen Landis is a sommelier, wine journalist and renowned international wine judge.
- Tim O’Brien is corporate director of beverage at Salty’s Restaurants in Seattle.
- Katelyn Peil is beverage director of the Seattle-based Heavy Restaurant Group.
- Yashar Shayan is a certified sommelier and founder of the Seattle-based retailer ImpulseWine.com.
- Steve Sinkler is owner of The Wine Shack in Cannon Beach, Ore.
- Dave Smith is a wine buyer for Everything Wine in Vancouver, British Columbia.
- Annie Sullivan is beverage director and public relations manager for Anthony’s Restaurants.
- Mark Takagi is specialty sales director of the Seattle-based Metropolitan Market group.
- Jennifer Williamson, a certified sommelier, is the wine buyer, wine educator and restaurant manager for the Neuman Hotel Group in Ashland, Ore.
- Sara Wilson is wine buyer/GM for Mystic Café, Lewiston, Idaho.
- Doug Zellers is co-owner/general manager of Ray’s Boathouse, Café & Catering in Seattle.
- Paul Zitarelli is owner for Full Pull Wines in Seattle and wine writer for Seattle magazine.
Gold medals will be posted on Twitter as they are awarded and emailed to the wineries. Full results will be posted upon the conclusion of the competition.