- Gehringer tops Great Northwest Invitational Wine Competition again
- Erica Landon, Ken Pahlow take Walter Scott Wines into second decade
- L’Ecole No. 41 announces management change
- Team Quady sweeps superlatives at Oregon Wine Competition
- Fries family sells Duck Pond Cellars to Great Oregon Wine Co.
- USA Today readers vote Stoller Family Estate tasting room No. 1 in nation
- Auction of Washington Wines tops $4 million again
- Ste. Michelle CEO Baseler retires after 17 years at the helm
- Fujishin, Lost West Winery use Riesling to top 2018 Idaho Wine Competition
- Private Barrel Auction raises $251,500 for Washington State University wine program
Washington Riesling not just a Ste. Michelle thing
Nine Hats Wines 2015 Riesling, Columbia Valley, $14
Best Buy! Fun-loving, hard-driving Gilles Nicault enjoys a level of freedom with these Nine Hats wines – the sister label that emerged beyond the acclaimed work of the nine winemakers involved in Walla Walla’s Long Shadows Vintners program. Inviting tropical aromas of Juicy Fruit Gum and orange cream include a faint whiff of petrol. Early-arriving acidity presents those tropical flavors in a dry refrain with a lick of slate. It’s only in the finish of Ambrosia Salad where the residual sugar of 1.3% trickles out a bit. This is not Poet’s Leap, the Riesling template German icon Armin Diel created as his part of Long Shadows, however Nicault is skewing differently for Nine Hats. And the 2016 vintage that’s around the corner will be even easier to find.
Production: 1,294 cases