- Taste Washington 2019 tickets now available
- Photojournalist takes lens to Pacific Northwest 2018 harvest
- Stoller names Santora as head winemaker for Chehalem Winery
- Vidon Vineyard melds science, craftsmanship into Oregon wine
- Oregon Pinot Noir shines at first New Orleans International Wine Awards
- Gehringer tops Great Northwest Invitational Wine Competition again
- Erica Landon, Ken Pahlow take Walter Scott Wines into second decade
- L’Ecole No. 41 announces management change
- Team Quady sweeps superlatives at Oregon Wine Competition
- Fries family sells Duck Pond Cellars to Great Oregon Wine Co.
Riesling a Great Northwest Wine
Mercer Canyons 2013 Riesling, Yakima Valley, $10
Best Buy! Jessica Munnell, a graduate of Washington State University and the University of Ste. Michelle, is confirmed as one of the state’s top Riesling producers with this vintage under Mercer Estates’ second label. The 2013 edition marks the third straight year she’s earned our top rating for Riesling, evidence her program of Brooks (76%) and Spring Creek vineyards is dialed in as she skillfully left room for 1.3% residual sugar. Aromas of glacéed apricots, peach, Granny Smith apple and pear also pick up a pinch of cinnamon and allspice. The beautifully bright entry features tropical and orchard flavors, cast within a remarkable balance of fruit, sweetness and spritzy acidity. The dry finishes carries a dusty minerality in the background. It’s available via savvy wine merchants in 46 states.
Production: 4,800 cases